History of St. John Lutheran Church & Christian Day School
Many of the members came great distances, usually walking, riding on horseback, or on ox-carts to attend services. On May 8, 1851 Rev. Detzer held the first Communion service in Defiance. Twenty-nine persons communed and the service lasted from 9:00 to 2:00 P.M. This was because there was only one hymnal. The pastor would recite one line of the hymn or verse and then the congregation would sing what had been recited.
On May 28, 1851 the congregation sent a formal call to Rev. Detzer. He accepted the call and was installed as the first pastor of the congregation on August 2, 1851 by the Rev. Ph. Trautman. He continued to make his home in Fulton County until June of 1852 when he moved to Defiance.
Three weeks after Rev. Detzer’s Installation, the members met to elect church officers. A Mr. Stark was chosen elder; Mr Warnecke, president. The following were elected trustees: Kussmaul; Viback; Grass; Frank; and Kahlo. Other names on the church roll were: Keinbaum; Dolke; Flickinger; Bodenschatz; Dannenberg; Hess; Grull; Biede, Kreideweiss, Konig, Fritcher, Muller; Schultz; Maers; Andrew, Will and Conrad Martin; Kutzli; Goshner; Mohoning; Ludwig Kramer, Groweg, and Biederstadt.
In March 1852 the congregation bought a lot on Washington Avenue. The purchase price was $65.00, of which $20.00 was paid in cash and the remaining $45.00 was borrowed at 16 per cent interest. The following year a building was begun. The first service was held in the new, but yet unfurnished building on April 14, 1853. Rough planks provided seats for the women while the men stood during the long service. On July 9, 1854 the church was dedicated by Prof. Craemer of Fort Wayne. This building is still used today as the present Church of the Brethren. Two years later a parsonage was built next to the church.
On May 12, 1856 the congregation adopted a constitution and became incorporated under the laws of the State of Ohio. The name adopted for the congregation was: St. John Ev. Lutheran Church of Defiance, Ohio. About this time the congregation also became a member of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod.
In 1867 the congregation bought four lots at the corner of Wayne Avenue and Juliet Street. The price was $800.00. Our present church and school, are located on these lots. The first parochial school building of the congregation was erected on these lots in 1870 at a cost of $1150.00.
Rev. Detzer remained as pastor until 1872. In 1871 the Rev. W.J. Lange became Pastor Detzer’s assistant. In 1872 Rev. Detzer moved to Chicago. Rev. Lange was then called as pastor, but did not accept the call. Prof. Lange of Fort Wayne was then called. He accepted the call, but only remained three months.
In 1873 the Rev. G. M. Zucker was called. He accepted the call and remained as pastor of the congregation until 1896.
In 1889 an addition was built to the school. A water power motor was installed in the church for the organ in 1893. That same year the Ladies Aid Society paid for the decoration of the interior of the church.
In 1896, after having served the congregation faithfully for 23 years, Pastor Zucker resigned and moved to Michigan.
After Pastor Spannuth had terminated his ministry, the Rev. F. A. Kiess of Wapakoneta, Ohio was called to St. John’s and was installed on the Seventh Sunday after Trinity, 1904. After almost twenty years of faithful service, Pastor Kiess accepted a call to Reynolds, Indiana.
He was succeeded by Pastor Albert Dede of Cleveland, who was installed into office the Fifth Sunday after Trinity by Pastor C.H. Schroeder. Under his leadership our present modern school building was erected at a cost of about $32,000.00. It was finished and dedicated in 1926. Shortly before Christmas, 1927, Pastor Dede was called to a professorship at Concordia College, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
the ministry of Pastor Hebestreit the school debt of $28,000.00 was liquidated through the generous gifts of the members and the faithful help of the Ladies Aid Society. In 1941 new windows, lights, and carpet replaced the old. The church was also redecorated. Chimes were placed into the organ.
In 1950 a new three-manual Haygren electronic organ was purchased and installed. The spring of 1951 the interior of the church was
again redecorated. Rev. O.G. Hebestreit served 30 years at St. John retiring in 1958.
In 1963 the constitution was amended, and the name changed to St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Unaltered Augsburg Confession, Defiance, Ohio.
Ground was broken for the new Education Center on March 8, 1964, and this structure was dedicated to God’s glory on March 28,1965. Cost of the building program, including some remodeling in the old school, a new heating system for the church, and a connecting passage between the church, and the school, was approximately $395,000.00. The new Education Center included a gymnasium for expanded athletic programs, four new classrooms upstairs and one classroom, offices, lunchroom and large kitchen on the first floor.
Pastor David R. Koenig retired on September 20, 1992 after serving the Lord and the people of St. John for over 29 years.
From 1952 until 1974 the pastors were assisted by vicars, or theological interns. Each vicar assisted in the pastoral ministry for several months or one year as part of his theological training. Vicars serving St. John were as follows: Wayne Dittloff, summer of 1952; Hyron Vogt, summer of 1954; Richard Baepler, summer of 1955. We had no vicars in 1953,1956,1957 and 1958.
In the fall of 1959 Robert Strawn was assigned to St. John for a year (until the fall of 1960). Thereafter, St John was assisted each year by vicars: Ronald Bongard, 1960-61; Melvin Swan, 1961-62; Lester Stahlke, 1962-63; Brian Seiler, 1963-64; Gary Arp, 1964-65; Robert Bohlmann, 1965-66; John Drush, 1966-67; Robert Zimmermann, 1967-68; Daniel Conrad, 1970-71; Gaylen Burow, 1971-72; Dennis Aubey, 1972-73; and Dennis Rieken, 1973-74.
Pastor Howard Fabricius retired from the ministry at Concordia Lutheran Church, Greenwood, after serving the congregation since September 17, 1978. Sunday, June 8, 2003 marked his farewell sermon to the congregation.
Pastor Fabricius received his elementary education at St. Paul’s Christian School in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. He then attended Concordia High School and College in Edmonton, Alberta, graduating in 1961 and Concordia Seminary, Springfield, Illinois, graduating in 1965. During his year of vicarage, 1963-64, Pastor Howard served churches at Syracuse and Messena, New York.
In 1964 he married Beverly Fouts from Cortland, New York. Pastor Howard and Bev have five daughters—Mrs. John Comastri (Karin), Mrs. Martin McGuire (Susan), Mrs. Frank Springman (Nancy), Mrs. Michael Kalan (Wendy) and Mrs. Lance Miner (Sarah). They have nine grandchildren.
Pastor Fabricius was ordained July 25, 1965 at St. Paul’s Lutheran Church in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, his home congregation. He served four different churches before coming to Concordia. He pastored at Redeemer Lutheran in Langdon, North Dakota and also at Zion Lutheran in Munich, North Dakota for three years. He then served at Mount Olive Lutheran (now Faith Lutheran) in London, Ontario, Canada for six years before moving to St. John’s Lutheran Church in Defiance, Ohio where he served for four years.
As our nation celebrated its 200th birthday in 1976, St. John Lutheran Church celebrated its 125th anniversary. At that time the congregation numbers approximately 1400 communicant members, and slightly over 2,000 baptized members.
The church was redecorated by Potente Studies of Wisconsin. The walls were painted a soft gold foil outlining the features of the windows and nave. The ceiling beams were painted dark brown and the ceiling is white. Red carpet was laid, new pews made by Sauders were installed with padded seats, and a Communion railing was installed on the expanded entrance to the nave. A hand carved dove was hung above the baptismal font, the pulpit was lowered and the furniture and other appointments were painted pure white. Wainscoting was removed from the side walls of the church.
The statue of Jesus was cleaned and retouched by Potente Studios, then reset in the altar alcove. The altar remains white with gold leaf touches to bring out the details on the tall altar.
In May of 1982 a new pipe organ was installed in the balcony of the church, Built by Zimmer and Sons of Charlotte, NC, the organ is a tracker mechanical action organ with a total of 982 pipes plus a set of Deagan Patrician chimes. There are 21 ranks of pipes, with 17 stops. A dedication service was held on June 12, 1982 with two recitals at later dates.
It was in 1984 that an elevate was added to assist the handicap. April 23, 1989 ground was broken for a third addition to our Educational Center. This building included a basement, sectioned into rooms for the youth, Boy Scouts and future projects. The first floor of the new addition has offices for the pastors, secretaries, a large fellowship room with small kitchen facilities and two more multi-purpose rooms and a reception area with doors opening to the south parking lot. The architects are Pastor & Beilharz. The cost is $1.3 million. November 12, 1989 the corner stone was laid and September 9, 1990 the building was dedicated to the Glory of God.
alminen accepted a call to become a second Associate Pastor of St. John Lutheran Church, Defiance, OH and was installed on July 13, 1986. He accepted a position at Holy Cross Lutheran Church in Collinsville, IL in 1989.
Currently, St. John Lutheran Church, Defiance, Ohio has one pastor, Pastor Luhring. St. John is in the process of calling an Associate Pastor.
Rev. Donald L. Luhring and his wife Faye have completed 25 years of ministry at St. John Lutheran Church in Defiance, Ohio. After serving as pastor at The Lutheran Church of Our Savior in Monticello, Indiana for 14 years, (and one year in Richmond, Virginia while doing graduate study) Rev. Luhring has completed 39 years in pastoral ministry.
St. John Lutheran Church is made up of a good representation of all age groups. We have 60 shut-ins including those in the nursing homes. We have 25-30 baptisms each year, 20-27 confirmands, about 20-28 adult confirmands, 25-30 weddings, and 20-25 funerals. In a recent staff and leadership study of “One Church Four Generations”, we noted that we have 389 Builders, that is 16.5%. We have 642 Boomers, that is 27.3%. We have 680 Busters, that is 28%. We have 642 Bridgers, that is 27.3%.
In 2008 at St. John Christian Day School we have eleven full time teachers and several part-time teaching staff. Ms. Marshall, Mr. McGhee and Mrs.Baikie team to teach the 5th-8th grades. Mr. Steketee teaches the fourth grade, Mrs. Maxey teaches the third grade, Mrs. Gyurnek teaches second grade, Mrs. McGhee teaches first grade, Mrs. Smith and Mrs. Stottlemeyer teach kindergarten classes, and Mrs. Winners, and Mrs. Wagner teach the preschool classes. Mrs. Kane was the principal.
In 2016 at St. John Christian Day School we have six full time teachers and several part-time teaching staff. Ms. Marshall, Mr. Deneen teach 5th-8th grades. Mrs. Maxey teaches the third and fourth grades, Mrs. Yoder teaches second grade, Mrs. McGhee teaches first grade, Mrs. Stottlemeyer teaches kindergarten classes, and Mrs. Cavin, and Mrs. Wagner teach the preschool classes and Mrs. Kosmerchock is principal.
God has richly blessed St. John Lutheran Church and Christian Day School.
Pastor Joshua Schmidt is a 2010 graduate of Concordia Seminary, St. Louis. He and his wife, Kristin, have been married since July 2008. St. John is his first call and congregation. Associate Pastor Joshua Schmidt will be installed at St. John in July 2010. Pastor Schmidt and his family accepted a call in Jackson, MO and left St. John in July 2015.